Friday, December 23, 2005



Stopping in the Woods on a Snowy Evening

    Whose woods these are I think I know
    His house is in the village though;
    He will not see me stopping here
    To watch his woods fill up with snow.

    My little horse must think it queer
    To stop without a farmhouse near
    Between the woods and frozen lake
    The darkest evening of the year.

    He gives his harness bells a shake
    To ask if there is some mistake.
    The only other sound's the sweep
    Of easy wind and downy flake.

    The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep
    And miles to go before I sleep.



1 comment:

Jules said...

I like this poem! It has a lovely feeling. Just a lone person in the snowy woods with a horse appreciating the beauty of it all. It is thought that only humans can appreciate beauty but we can notice that animals sometimes seenm to be getting immense joy from Nature from the perfume of the plants and the contact with the grass especially in Spring. My beautiful all white cat Elizabeth lives outside in the cold but her fur is very thick now and warm to the touch.