Thursday, November 10, 2005

Am I Old?
D. Bowden

While I was over visiting my niece and her little family today, her 4-year-old daughter, Kaleh was sitting on my lap looking at a book with me. One of the characters on one of the pages was an old woman. Kaleh looked at me real close after looking at the cartoon gray-haired lady. I said "She is very old, isn't she?" Kaleh nodded. I then asked her "Am I old?" Kaleh tilted her head shyly and said "Yes," as she sort of gave me an embarrassed smile. I then asked, "How old do you think I am?" and she studied my face and then responded, " Forty-three" and I laughed a little and said "and that is old?" and she nodded again. I told her, "I have a secret, I am even OLDER than that! I am fifty-one!" Her eyes got big as saucers and she said, "WOW...are you older than Gootgamy?" (Gootgamy is her name for MY mother, Kaleh's GREAT grandma!) I was stunned at first but then laughed and laughed! I told her that no, I am old, but Gootgamy is VERY, VERY OLD! Kids can make your self-esteem plummet in an instant sometimes!

1 comment:

jules said...

I have more than my share of wrinkles and one day when I was teaching an infant class a little boy of about four asked me, indicating, why I had all those lines on my face. I asked him if his mother had them and he naturally shook his head. So I asked the group if they thought I was ugly (I'm not usually considered so) and they all shouted 'Yes! Fortunately one dear little soul changed her mind and said 'No' which cheered me up slightly!